Friday, October 2, 2009

October 2, 2009

I should have written this yesterday, but I was so busy! It's OCTOBER! One of my favorite months and it's really starting to feel like fall out there. This week's weather has been absolutely incredible! Crisp nights, cool but sunny days, just a slight breeze. Perfect for any outdoor activity and in this house we just love opening the windows at night and snuggling under the covers. We've been keeping busy with football practice and soccer too. This weekend as long as the weather cooperates, T will have his first soccer game since 3 weeks ago. The last 2 have been canceled due to rain or soggy fields. T is such a good soccer player. The last game he played, he was in the whole time. There were 2 kids from the other team that got red carded that game though.. and that is the same team that we're playing this time, so I'm keeping my eyes open for any funny business. This team needs to chill out, it's only recreational soccer, not supposed to be competitive but some coaches don't see it that way and are out for blood.  Not being a real competitive person I don't understand why they have to be that way. It is kids' sports after all!  Football is out of town, but this will be the last out of town game. They go to Spring City, and then all the rest of them will be on our turf. I'm excited for our team! They got their play books last night. It's really cool to see H doing so well, after he wanted to quit the first day. He's on first string offense and plays tight end. He also plays on the kickoff and kickoff return special teams. The coach asked me last week, "what are y'all feeding, him, dynamite?" because as he said, "He's come alive". I think it's great that they are bragging on him so much. He just eats that up too.. that is what he needs!

Work was SO SLOW in September! It's been weeks since I've had a really busy week. It's rather depressing, but that's the business. It wasn't just me either. Other girls in the building were feeling it too, and the phones have been so quiet. Yesterday started off October with a bang though, and I'm happy we're done with Sept. Although I got to see my family over Labor Day (awesome as always) and my baby boy turned 8 in September so it wasn't all that bad. It's just the work that sucks in September, and February is the same way.

With the fall weather, it's almost that time to change the summer clothes out for winter clothes. The boys and I have already been digging into our winter clothes tubs because of the cool temps in the morning and at night.  I am so glad I switched from a huge tub with all of their clothes in one spot to 3 under the bed boxes for theirs. They each have their own, and they are tucked away but still accessible when the day brings about an unseasonal temperature. It is so handy! I don't know why I didn't do that years ago. Also saves me from having to weed through and decide what belongs to whom. These boys grow out of their clothes so fast. One of the nice things about having three boys is hand me downs. As long as the clothes aren't torn up or stained they can pass them down the line. We are always getting new things added thanks to birthdays and Christmas or if there is a good sale going that someone can't pass up. That means T gets almost no hand me downs. I guess that is a perk of being the oldest child.. he always gets the new stuff. The other 2 get new stuff as well, but they have a good bit of hand-me-downs. I need to take him to the thrift store and stock up on jeans. That kid grows out of jeans quicker than anyone I know. He's getting tall, fast. His birthday is coming up too.. the big 13! Scary to think about. Has it really been that long? *sigh*

So less than 3 months till Christmas is here. The year has really flown by! I'm looking forward to the holidays, though this year I won't be able to travel to see my family. Even though I don't see them enough and I miss them like crazy, I just can't miss any more work. So we'll plan on having a nice little gathering, just the 5 of us. For Thanksgiving and for Christmas. Maybe Mike's family also? Not sure how that will work out. I am thinking this year that instead of cooking a huge meal like I did last year for Thanksgiving, eating out might not be a bad idea. The kitchen in this apartment is not conducive to that kind of cooking. Instead it reminds me of a walk in closet they decided would be a good spot for a kitchen. I definitely look forward to being in a bigger space, but for now we can stick it out. It'll be worth it in the end. Like Dave Ramsey says... "live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else." A little financial sacrifice now will definitely be worth it in the not too distant future.

I've been working on getting myself into better shape before the holidays get here too. Over the last year I've become "soft" and just been happy and enjoying my life. But the scale has been crawling up there. I'm back to where I was 2 years ago when I realized I needed to change things up and not "let myself go"  I'm not heavy or thick by any definition of the word. I know there are a lot of people out there that would compare themselves to me and say what are you talking about?  But for my frame the weight I am is on the border of being too much, and if I don't do something different then I will really regret it later. I'm used to being 110 lbs soaking wet my whole life.. now in my 30s, my metabolism has been slowing and I just need to watch my portions and make an effort to exercise on a regular basis. It's not so much as the weight (but that is a good indicator for me) as it is fitting into my clothes well and overall just feeling better and having more energy.  I've been doing really well! The last 2 weeks I've been consistent with my exercise, at least 3 if not 4 or 5 times a week. Labor Day week was a washout, but the week leading up to it I worked out 4x. I'm not quite to the point where it's a habit yet.. that takes a full month at least, so I still have to fake it some days and just push myself. But I've been getting that done and eating more salads for lunch, or just a smaller portion of what I would normally have. And I'm drinking more water and less cokes. Baby steps.. that is what it takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment